Concord man charged with tossing bombs at officers during pursuit

The DA claims Daniel Richard Garcia’s “alleged crimes endangered countless lives.”

SAN FRANCISCO, CA – Prosecutors said a 42-year-old Concord man was charged Wednesday with throwing bombs at police officers as they pursued him from San Francisco to Martinez earlier this week.

According to the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office, Daniel Richard Garcia is charged with six counts of detonating an explosive device with intent to murder, three counts of possessing an explosive device in public, and one count each of possessing an incendiary device, reckless evading, and attempted robbery.

Garcia pleaded not guilty to the charges and denied allegations that he committed the crimes while on bail in another pending criminal matter.

“Mr. Garcia’s alleged crimes put countless lives in jeopardy,” said San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkins in a statement. “He will now face consequences for his dangerous conduct.”

Prosecutors say Garcia faces life in state prison if convicted of all charges.

Officers were called to the 600 block of Filbert Street in San Francisco around 5:50 p.m. Sunday for a report of an assault and attempted robbery. Officers were directed to Garcia by witnesses, who then got into a car and drove away.

Garcia, according to prosecutors, threw two improvised explosive devices at pursuing officers, “narrowly missing” them and bystanders. The chase continued onto the freeway and ended in Martinez, where Garcia was apprehended by California Highway Patrol officers.

The court granted the district attorney’s office’s motion to detain Garcia pending trial on Wednesday “because of the public safety risk he poses,” according to prosecutors. Garcia is scheduled to appear in court on Thursday to set a preliminary hearing date.

Garcia has a history of using explosives. In 2011, he was found guilty of planting a bomb beneath an SUV parked next to an apartment building, which sent shrapnel flying into the structure.

According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office and court records, he was convicted a year later of malicious use of explosives, possession of a destructive device for a violent crime, and possession of unregistered destructive devices.

Garcia was sentenced to 35 years in prison for the latter crime, but was released in 2019 after successfully appealing one of the convictions.

The case of Sunday’s chase is still under investigation, despite the fact that formal charges have been filed. Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the SFPD tip line at 415-575-4444.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply